What is a good controller for Crimson Skies?

Crimson Skies, Microsoft Flight Simulator... or another of your choice!
mbutler532011

What is a good controller for Crimson Skies?

Post by mbutler532011 »

While rooting around in the garage, I discovered my old Crimson Skies box and remembered how much fun it was. Just reading through the "Air Action Weekly" was a rush. I installed it onto my Win8x64 system with no trouble and it comes right up (though I did download and install the 1.02 patch.) kind of surprising...I didn't even have to try compatibility modes.

The video is a bit garbled, low-rez and unreadable menus - I see that some kind soul has created a video patch for it, so I am downloading it now.

My question - it runs fine but with just a mouse I am essentially unable to fly my plane...all I do is loop uncontrollably around, spinning in various directions as I overcorrect.

I thought I might pick up a flight-sim controller, but I wasn't sure of:
1) what controller might work with old Crimson Skies
2) what doesn't cost much - I'm not a dedicated flight-sim guy, just looking for some old nostalgia

any recommendations?
Mark
CanEh
Site Admin

Re: What is a good controller for Crimson Skies?

Post by CanEh »

Hopefully, the video fix is the one from here. The Crimson folks do a LOT of other gaming with stuff that doesn't run in the old zone lobby types, but you can generally find them hanging around in the teamspeak (easily accessed from the main webpage, not the forums webpage) and it generally doesn't take a lot of arm twisting to get some CS time in..

I know a lot of folks fly with the keyboard, I could never get that to work for me, so I use a joystick. Pretty sure any of the 3 axis ones will work fine. I've also heard some of the gaming pad controllers work too but...

Best bet, hit the teamspeak side... folks come and go at all odd times, many of the "boys" are either east coast USA or England based, but there are also some Aussie people too. You may have to sit in TS for a while, but people do show up, especially when they see other forms of fresh meat.. er.. I mean.. players... hanging around. :)
mbutler532011

Re: What is a good controller for Crimson Skies?

Post by mbutler532011 »

Thanks!
I'll give it a try

Mark