Wacky Races

Is there a game you want to see being active here? Put on your best begging face, and ask!
Forum rules
Please be polite and respectful. There is NEVER any need for profanity.
provato

Wacky Races

Post by provato »

I noticed that we don't have a good kart racing game here - one of those that you can throw "presents" at the opponent to bring him out of his way... Mario Kart is one of these games and thousands of people play online every day, and maybe millions play it single or cosole-multiplayer!!
I remember having the same fun with my friends playing this game, which is indeed a very good Mario Kart clone for PC. Here is a screenshot to fresh up memories:

As for the multiplayer online matter, the game used to have a strange online program - site for playing on the internet. It was called "chatnplay" (there is a chatnplay.exe file in the CD - hope you can get smth out of it..)

Anyway the game is not playable yet with newer cards, as it uses a "setup.exe" for the video to be configured - which unfortunately can't even detect my vid card!! As a result I get software rendering in 320*240 of the graphics on 1650*1028 widescreen... LOL :p Hopefully I'll get in touch with Timesleep and see if he can fix this problem. (as he did with CS ;) )

EDIT: PROBLEM ABOVE IS NOW FIXED!! ----> Seems I had to clean the NVidia drivers with "Driver Sweeper" LOL After that the setup.exe detected my vid card and playing in 1024*768 :mrgreen:
CanEh
Site Admin

Re: Wacky Races

Post by CanEh »

Ah... I hated to do it but I edited your post and removed the links and stuff... So sorry.

I know you went throught a lot of time and trouble to take that ISO and send it up, I took the time to download it, merge it and install it. Unfortunately, it's just not compatable with our lobby system. So as a heads up, I will create a sticky/announcement on how to determine if your request could be considered.

I do appreciate your participation, and I know you are excited and happy about what we do.
provato

Post by provato »

Don't worry I understand. I suspected that it wouldn't work anyway :p

However, I did a research on "d-playability" in Vista, and I think this explains why we have to manually open ports, disable firewalls, anti-viruses etc:
(From wikipedia - Directplay):

Current status

DirectPlay was traditionally one of the components of DirectX that received less attention, but for DirectX version 8 it received a major overhaul and became a relatively lightweight networking library. However, as part of Microsoft's unveiling of XNA in 2004, Microsoft revealed that DirectPlay would be deprecated in favor of Games for Windows - Live technology already available on Xbox and being ported for use on Windows PCs. DirectPlay will be supported in DirectX DLLs for the lifetime of Microsoft Windows XP, but from the autumn of 2007 the headers and libraries — vital components if developers wanted to develop new programs that utilize the technology — were absent from DirectX SDK.

In Windows Vista, DirectPlay has been deprecated and DirectPlay Voice and DirectPlay's NAT Helper have been removed.
CanEh
Site Admin

Post by CanEh »

Actually thats not what I meant. If you run dxdiag, and look at the network tab, there are 3 sections. The first is "Registered DirectPlay Service Providers", followed by "Registered Lobbyable DirectPlay Applications", followed by an area that displays test results.

From what I've been told, the second area, which lists the games, guids, and other information... was removed in Vista. Now perhaps with all of the service updates Microsnot has run they may have put it back but...