Crimson Skies

Problems? Issues? Ask your questions here.
Greg Youranis

Crimson Skies

Post by Greg Youranis »

Hi folks, just a quick query - I downloaded/installed from your Crimson Skies link today (great game) and my antivirus (kaspersky PURE) has quaratined cspeditor.exe claiming it's infected with HEUR.trojan.win32.generic. Now, I know this could be a false positive (happens with steam from time to time) but just wanted to hear what you guys had to say, also I'm having troubles with an old logitech Force 3D joystick - i.e Crimson Skies wouldn't recognise the trottle or the z-axis. I was wondering if you had any ideas on how to remedy that. I've poked around the web and people seem to have conflicting opinions on whether this particular stick is 64 bit compatible (I'm running windows 7 home premium 64).

Cheers and thanks for your time,

Greg.
CanEh
Site Admin

Re: Crimson Skies

Post by CanEh »

We have had a few issues with a different range of AV programs. I coded both the plane editor and all of the game lobby programs. I've even had Symantec say that our dbsUpdater program has a virus. Our software is programmed using VB.Net, and then it is run through an obfuscator and protector program because by default, you can easily "decode" a dot net assembly. This is the first time someone has said the plane editor has a virus... at least, from what I can recall.

With that said, I can promise you there is NO virus or malware within anything that I code. And the protection software we use for obfuscation is created by a fella that is very well known in the entire dot net community. What I suspect is happening, is his protection routines are probably creating similar signatures as virus programs.

I have contacted Symantec, and explained the situation. I've also given them the full source code for our updater program, and they have said they will add it to their "while list". I guess I'll have to contact Kaspersky as well...

As for the other problems, I can only say that Crimson Skies that we released, works quite well with both Win 7 and 8, both 32 and 64 bit. I'd suggest connecting into our TeamSpeak server during the evening time, which is when most folks seem to be kicking around. They will often be playing other games, or just yapping away on stuff, and very well may not be in the gaming lobby. If you have TeamSpeak installed, you can just click on one of the rooms displayed on the main website page, and it will connect you in.
Greg Youranis

Post by Greg Youranis »

Thanks for your quick response CanEh, much appreciated. Yeah I suspected it was a false positive, but erred on the side of caution in this case because kaspersky was going freaking certifiable so I deleted the quarantined files and uninstalled the program. I have however seen these false positives before, usually with steam games and typically when that game has doubled up on the drm - the Batman series and that stupid effing windows live client is a great example, it's like a drm layer cake and kaspersky must be all like "wtf are all these programs phoning stuff home for DANGER WILL ROBINSON" but I knew what I was dealing with in those cases - or at least considered that the software installed behind/within steam's own security so therefore it was probably okay and I had an overly zealous (albeit well meaning) antivirus product. Your reply has settled my skittishness though and I'll reinstall, cheers.

As for the joystick issues I've had that stick for 15 years - used it back in the day when Crimson Skies was new and actually eye candy, so I'm not surprised logitech aren't particularly interested in providing support for it, and truth is I've only kept it because it's usb and force feedback (although I suspect I've pretty much striped the nylon cogs inside it by now) so maybe it's time to just buy something new anyway.

Thanks again for your repsonse, LOVED this game when it first came out and am looking forward to jumping back in. Thanks for your time and effort.
CanEh
Site Admin

Post by CanEh »

FYI.. I did submit a request to Kaspersky.. I have a file number, and I am waiting for their response
Greg Youranis

Post by Greg Youranis »

Excellent. Thanks again.
Greg Youranis

Post by Greg Youranis »

CanEh wrote:FYI.. I did submit a request to Kaspersky.. I have a file number, and I am waiting for their response
Just a quick update, ran a scan today and noticed the 2 Crimson Skies files (exe and.....god dammit, now I forget what the other one was....think it was the editor) at any rate the 2 files that Kaspersky was getting it's panties all bunched up about are no longer quarantined - so I guess they sorted it at their end.

Thanks for submitting the request.

Kind regards,

Greg
CanEh
Site Admin

Post by CanEh »

Glad to hear... but I'm still working with Kaspersky on it. I've asked to be in their "white list" program, I've signed their requested NDA and sent it back, but I've not heard the results yet. They say they "cant" download the installer and run it, not get the updates so...

I'm guessing they were getting a lot of false positive complaints from a lot of people on a lot of things, and have tweaked their scanning code to fix it. .. Shrug. Either way, I know my code contains nothing harmful, and the program used to obfuscate and protect our code comes from a very well respected organization. Both the plane editor and the game lobby are VB.Net assemblies, and are protected with the same program. So my guess would be that the signature the protection program creates is something similar to some other virus.

My "stuff" has been around since the Zone closed. Actually, the plane editor program itself, was around while the Zone was running, and heavily scrutinized by many, for accuracy and the inability to create a hacked plane.
Greg Youranis

Post by Greg Youranis »

Yeah I'm not surprised you're still waiting to hear back from them. I have a lot of time for Kaspersky (as a product) it's solid - sometimes a little over zealous but it's far less intrusive than other security products and it's got a lot of nice, practicable features. Their support however is deplorable. I've asked them questions on a couple of occasions and have waited so long for them to get back to me (literally months) that when they respond I'm all like "erm......wtf are you talking about support guy you're gonna have to refresh my memory" because a), the problem had long ago been resolved in an update and b), it had been so long I'd completely forgotten I'd submitted a support request in the first place.

At any rate the issues I was having have been resolved so thanks for all your help.